Whats Happening ?

Weir

OS Ref 502 174
Also known as Darkham Weir this is the point from which much of the water that filled the Rolle Canal was sourced. Set into the wall at the mouth of the leat that leads off from the River Torridge is a commemorative stone which reads ‘This Weir Was Built By John Lord Rolle  1837’  This stone can only be seen when standing on the lip of the weir.(Rather precarious!)It is thought that by boarding across the weir the water level upstream could be artificially raised making the river navigable by tub boats for a considerable distance further inland as far as the mouth of Whiteleigh (or Woolleigh) Brook.